Saturday, July 19, 2008

A prison without bars

I read an article last week with a line that really stood out. “Twentysomethings are at the difficult transition between allowing life to happen and learning to take charge of life.”

Last night I watched the movie Life as a House. Good movie, one that makes you think about your own life, the experiences you have, and even causes you to question where you're going. After it was over I went to bed and after some prayer a thought, or analogy I suppose, became clear to me. As the article quote describes it seems my life for the past 22 years has more often than not just happened. It's as if my life has always been a series of frameworks, no actual homes just the frames. My responsibility was to fill in the blanks so to speak. The frames were always there, elementary school, junior high, sports, church, high school, college, campus ministry, etc. I just had to work with what was presented to me and create a house. But now there are no frameworks. I'm sitting on an empty plot of land where a house normally sits, where the possibilities for construction are almost limitless. I could build a house with two stories, with a balcony, garage, or so many other things. And yet here I sit, in the grass right in the middle of the plot completely clueless as to what to do or where to start. Some days I'll start to dig a hole here or there, maybe start to draw out an idea, possibly even get some actual wood placed in the form of a frame, but everytime those "projects" come to an involuntary dead-end very soon after beginning. Almost everytime I talk to someone about taking the next step after college the conversation eventually comes to a point where we realize there are endless opportunities, almost complete freedom to do whatever one chooses. And this is true. I'm on this plot of land with seemlingly endless opportunity to build, construct, and create something great, a situation the majority of people would relish, would embrace and run with. But yet here I am looking at this plot of land as one of the most excrutiating prisons I could ever envision myself in.

1 comment:

Hudson said...

Let the gospel be your framework. You have a fresh start.

"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash."

Matthew7:24-27