Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Something seems very off.....

I moved to Kansas City this past week. In doing so I left the place I called "home" for the past 3 years and many of the closest friends I've ever had. It's weird because the whole reason for moving was to find a job. You graduate college and then find a job, that's what you do or so I've been told, that's why I was supposed to be in college I guess. But funny enough, all of the good times and learning experiences I had in those 4 years were almost completely separate from my classes and majors. And now I've come to the end of that season and have to adjust to a new environment, almost solely because I'm no longer a student and have to get a "real" job. Frustratingly, I've come up empty in the past month-plus of searching.

My last post was made over two months ago and sadly most of what is in it is still true. It's crazy, over the past few days I've thought about this whole situation of moving and job searching and you know what? It sucks. Searching for a job when you don't know what you're looking for is not a good course of action. Majoring in areas that don't really interest you is a bad idea. Daily I'm faced with the very real possibility that I will have to settle for something I don't enjoy. I know the immediate reaction is to ask where God is in all of this. How has He been guiding me or what has He been revealing to me. I don't have an answer. Something really seems off because after consistent reflection and thought I am still virtually clueless. That shouldn't happen but yet here I am.

Now I'm sitting in a new "home" with no job and very little idea of what I actually want to do, asking myself questions that have plagued my life for over 4 years. However, the difference now is I can't put them off any longer. I used to think I would just work on two broad degrees and experience college and in that process discover opportunities or find out what interests me. Well, that never really happened. And now I can't just store these questions up and hope that some revelation happens. Nope, they have to be faced and at the moment I've got nothing, which is not good when decisions have to be made.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tips from Tip...

- You just keep looking. It's dilligence. Sometimes things come along faster, sometimes things take several months... especially in this job market

- Careerbuilder, Monster, etc., Kansas City Chamber of Commerce, Careerlinks.. It takes an average of 17 applications to get 1 interview. I turned out about 40 and got 2 interviews... I'd say its about right

- Chances are at some point youre going to hate a job. Consider it being successful at finding what you don't want. My dad was in a job he hated for 5 years before he found what he loved.

I'm sure you already knew these, but this is just in case you forgot. Take care man, and i'm a facebook message away, haha!

Anonymous said...

hey bro,

I will say it would be a wonderful thing to do what you like, but you can't truly know what you like until you experience something.

Also, God has a purpose through everything. He is way more interested in your soul than your comfort. Maybe there is someone at one of these jobs you don't look to that needs to hear of Jesus. I would say if you led or even sowed a way for one person to meet Christ at work, that more than pays for all of the other stuff. Just something to think about....

Hudson said...

Hance. Though I'll be going back to Maryville after the summer, I really do think I've been given a glimpse into "life after college", and I couldn't agree with you more... It sucks big time.

Something inside me, within my spirit, rubs up against this idea wrong. It wants to rebel and not go with the grain. Not follow the pack. I don't really know what that looks like. But going to school for 15+ years of your life just so you can get a decent job, marry, and live happily ever after does not sit well with me. And I don't think it should. Christ calls us to be radicals in a time of predestined paths the world sets before us. And I think it looks different for every person. If you were to follow Christ radically and oppose everything this world is telling you that you should do, what would that look like?

I'm still searching.
Don't give up man, God did NOT plan for your life to be mundane and meaningless.

Archer said...

So here's my two cents:

You sir, are a great man. I know, at least in part, the impact that you've had in the past few years of college. Take heart. Do the very thing that I hate to be told, and wait. Keep looking, and if something comes up and you think it might work, try it. If it doesn't work out move on. You could always fish with me in Costa Rica if it doesn't work out.

I'm available if you need me.